IT PAYS TO HELP A CHILD SUCCEED.
Competitive Living Stipend – Educational Opportunities – Free health insurance – Childcare assistance (based on eligibility – Segal Education Award, up to $4,266.50 for all members who satisfy program requirements.
Competitive Living Stipend – Educational Opportunities – Segal Education Award, up to $3,047.50 for all members who satisfy program requirements.
interested? apply now:
MEC Member education opportunities
Further, MEC interventionists are invited to apply to Davenport University to complete the Graduate Certificate of Urban Education and the Master of Urban Education programs. More information can be obtained from Dr. Susan Gunn, Dean of the College of Urban Education; firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals serving with any Michigan Education Corps program are eligible to receive a tuition discount with Davenport University when enrolled in the College of Urban Education. For more information about this college’s degrees, check out their website.
In partnership with Camp Fire West Michigan 4C, PreK Reading Corps Interventionists who begin their service term in August, have the opportunity to complete theirChild Development Associate (CDA) credential. For more information, please contact us.
Eli Segal Education Award
Individuals who successfully complete their service term are eligible to receive the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. The award may be used to pay educational expenses at eligible post-secondary institutions, including many technical schools and G.I. Bill approved programs, or to repay qualified students loans. The dollar amount of the education award is equal to the maximum amount of the U.S. Department of Education Pell Grant and may change year to year. Many colleges and universities will match the Education Award with additional scholarships. Individuals over the age of 55 at the start of their service term may transfer their education award to their child, step-child, foster-child, grandchild, or step-grandchild All education award payments made on your behalf are considered by the IRS to be taxable income.
For more information about the Education Award, matching institutions and transferring awards, please visit the National Service website.
what mec members Do:
- Provide language, literacy and math rich supplemental instruction in educational settings including preschools, elementary schools and middle schools. The type of instruction provided is dependent on the program (PreK, K-3 or Math).
- Provide supplemental reading or math interventions as needed to individual or small groups (2-3) of children. The duration and method of intervention is dependent on the program.
- Collect benchmark data to determine which children are eligible for Michigan Education Corps services.
- Utilize student assessments provided by MEC/Reading Corps/Math Corps.
- Receive on-going support from an Internal Coach.
- Use research-based interventions with provided age/grade and content appropriate materials.
- Regularly monitor progress to inform instruction.
- Serve everyday at their school for the school year, weekly hour requirements depend on service term.
- Come from a variety of backgrounds – recent graduates, stay-at-home parents, retirees, etc.
what mec members Do NOT:
- Supplant, or replace, services provided by the school or site employees
- Conduct other duties that are required for school staff, e.g., lunch duty or playground duty, or other non-literacy/Reading Corps/Math Corps tasks throughout the school day.
- Use student assessments provided by the school.
- Work with very low performing students who need the help of a trained, licensed teacher.
- Use other school-based interventions or create their own lesson plans.
- Make their own decisions about what intervention is best for a student.
- Make a guess about how a student is progressing and responding to an intervention.
- Make their own decisions about an intervention change or exiting a student (coaches do this).
- Have flexibility in their schedule for when they want to show up at the school or leave for the day.
- Need to have a degree in education.